Sunday, March 30, 2008

F&N refuses to disclose source of Fresh Milk

I was doing some simple "research" on fresh milks available in Singapore recently, and found that most brands of fresh milk state their source of milk clearly on the carton. For example, Farmhouse is from Australia, Brownes is from Indonesia etc.

However, I checked a few times but never found the source for Magnolia Fresh Milk, possibly the most popular brand of fresh milk (and generally the most costly). So I decided to do some digging. I looked for the telephone number of F&N Singapore, distributor of Magnolia milks, and called their customer service hotline.

When the operator (or whomever) answered, I said I was calling to find out where their milk came from. So I was transferred to another person, a lady who asked me WHY I wanted to know their sources. Well, basically because I want to know where the milk I drink comes from, which country.

She replied that she was unable to disclose their sources, but it COULD come from a few different countries. I pursued by asking whether it is from the Australasia area or Indonesia, but her only reply was, "I cannot tell you". Dodgy, ain't it? She later said that countries may include Vietnam, Thailand and a few others, and that the milks come into Singapore and are packaged here after quality control.

So now I have a picture of different qualities of milk coming from different tubes into one central tank and getting all mixed up and swirled around. Ew.

In any case, I've never thought it was worth spending those extra cents on that brand, although Magnolia Fresh Milk always did taste good and has the longest shelf life for fresh milk. (Side note: does this mean that they pasteurise their milk beyond the usual temperatures? Another uh-oh). I used to get one carton of Fresh Milk and one Chocolate Fresh Milk (yeah yeah, I know it's got milk solids, but it IS yummy!) whenever there was a "2 for" offer, but since our Bangkok trip I've discovered Meiji Choc Milk which we all like (and is cheaper but has a shorter shelf life), so Magnolia has left our lives for some time.

So one of my short-term goals in life is, find a continuable source of RAW MILK, or at least get a taste of it.

3 comments:

  1. actually F&N Magnolia UHT Full Cream Milk's carton states that it's from New Zealand. Wonder if it's the same for their fresh milk? Anyway, I have switched to getting my 15-month old drink the UHT full cream version, though she hardly takes much (at most half a small pkt). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that UHT(ultra high temperature)-treated milk is possibly even less beneficial than pasteurised milk, because the temperatures that they heat the milk to does something else to the milk proteins, which is why the milk does not need to be refrigerated and has such a long shelf life.

    Probably pasteurised fresh full cream milk is still the best option, since that's the least processed milk that we can get here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - found this while trying to find out where Magnolia milk comes from! Isn't it dodgy that they won't tell you. I wonder if China is one of the countries?

    The best milk in my opinion comes from Australia or NZ as the cows are out in the sunlight and eating grass.

    There is fresh raw organic milk available in Singapore - it's called Cleopatras Bath Milk and you can buy it at L'Organic - it's incredibly $$$$ though but the nicest milk I have ever tasted!

    ReplyDelete