Thursday, June 16, 2016

It is finished

The day the last child weans is a momentous milestone for every mother who practises Full Term Breastfeeding. After years of offering a breast at a moment's notice, sometimes even in her sleep without her realising it, suddenly she doesn't have to do it ever again, nor will she ever get to do it again.

15 years and 3 months. That is how long I have been breastfeeding, minus 9 months right between RM telling me he doesn't need to anymore, and the birth of Mouse.

I recall when RM was 5 years old, probably right around his 5th birthday. I had asked him that night as he was having his usual "nightcap", when he would stop nen-nen. He thought for a little while and told me, "when I am 7 years old." Guess how old he was when he stopped? 5 years 5 months.

I guess I had been expecting Mouse to stop somewhere about then as well, although I'd hoped it would be later. He was about 5 years 9 months old when he told me, I don't want anymore.

After a couple weeks of minor grieving each evening, I resolved to change my mindset. It's time to celebrate! 

I celebrate that my child has grown secure enough in my love for him to no longer need the attachment that breastfeeding confers. I celebrate that he knows I will always be there for him even without the comfort of my breast and milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment