Friday, June 17, 2016

Injury Week

Something went wrong with my left wrist earlier this week. A little bone seemed to stick out further than the same on the other side, and it very quickly went from no pain to excruciating within a couple of days, with redness and much swelling.


Yowch! I couldn't bend my wrist at all and had to keep it straight with the fingers extended, ALL the time.

After bearing the pain for more than a day (and relying on my family to help with everything), I finally decided to get medical help (the crazy tolerance of women, ha ha). The X-ray showed that a piece of bone fragment, possibly from an earlier injury, that, combined with the activity from volleyball, led to inflammation of the area.

The doctor prescribed some NSAIDs, which worked very quickly to reduce the pain and swelling, although the area is still red. I shall have to consider whether it would be necessary to have some minor surgery to remove the fragment. *shudder*

In the meantime, I concede that I have to do something about my bones d:(

My parents are chasing me to take Calcium supplements, but in light of all that I have read about those (ground up rocks and oyster shells?? who wants to eat THOSE??), I am going to try to persue a more food-based approach. 

I've learnt that calcium absorption is closely tied to Magnesium, Vitamin D and Vitamin K2 as well. 

So let's begin with foods that are good sources of Calcium, in a form definitely more bioavailable than oyster shells and rocks (YUCK!)

1. Sesame seeds
2. Sardines, canned in oil with bones
3. Yogurt, unsweetened
4. Spinach, cooked
5. Collard greens
6. Almonds
7. Broccoli, raw

I eat all the above, and enjoy them very much. Hurray for me!

For Vitamin D, going out everyday is all the vitamin D I need.

Next, Vitamin K2 - natto, and dontcha know it, it's one of my favourite foods, haha.

Lastly, Magnesium. This is rather more tricky, and the only thing I can be sure of is that it should NOT come from magnesium stearate. I need to go find out more about this.

Meantime, no volleyball for me *sob sob* for at least a week. And I will need to find a wrist guard to support my wrist when I play.

What does this all mean? More shopping, yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment