Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Discovering I actually have a cleavage

... has made me realise the importance of having a fitting and supportive bra.

Six years of wearing nursing bras, and I seem to have totally forgotten how to wear a "normal" bra, much less choose one. Oh, I know there are underwired and really well-designed nursing bras out there, but, I dunno... I've always been afraid of getting plugs so I never dared to even try a wired one, and I haven't found a non-wired one with padding which I looked good in (IMO). Besides, and most importantly, my priority was always comfort and ease of undoing.

But I've had enough! I am sick of wearing bra cups which keep sliding around (and how do you adjust a wayward bra cup in public??). And heck, Ruvie's already 2.5yo, I can stop wearing nursing bras!

So I got myself to Plaza Sing today and tried out the Triumph bras at John Little's (15% storewide discount except for Triumph products, can ya believe it???). Maximiser, Sloggi, Tshirt Bra, all felt rather weird, or rather, I felt rather weird in them. I guess I've been too used to the unsupported look I usually sport. I went off to get a snack and mull over it.

Hey-hey! Guess what I passed on my way down to the basement - a Wacoal boutique! If there is one brand I remember my mom ever saying, it's Wacoal, although from young I'd always thought it sounded so... unposh. Recently though, I was asking a well-endowed cousin for recommendations, and she too, touted this brand to make the most natural-looking, supportive and comfortable bras she ever had. She would know, she's got a model's figure.

After my fishcake, I went straight to Wacoal and asked the very motherly looking assistant to find something to fit my requirements (preferably no lace, half-cup, simple). All I can say is, she knew what she was doing, unlike the assistant at John Little's. Their fitting rooms are rigged so that you can press a button for help with fitting and, er, arranging your bosom. I must have learnt more about bras from that half hour I spent in there than all the 17 years post-puberty. I left Plaza Sing without going back to JL or putting my foot into the ERO downstairs (which I saw too but forgot about after hitting Wacoal), a hundred dollars poorer but everlastingly happier (hey they didn't cost as much as I'd expected either).

Thank you Ms Lim! And you are so nice and patient. I will learn from you (and I will remember to care for my bras with love and tenderness).

4 comments:

  1. You didn't try Marks n Spencer? I like the t-shirt bra style T33.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yah, I passed it as I went down for a snack, but I guess I got to Wacoal first and stayed there d:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so next time you know, lah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually since then I've bought 2 Triumph bras from the John Little Sale. They were the best among all the other Triumph bras. I'm glad I learnt from the Wacoal lady how to choose a good bra, else I'd just be living my life wearing all the wrong ones.

    ReplyDelete