Sunday, November 05, 2006

One Bowl Chocolate Cake

It looked really good... and was moist, not dry at all, and best of all, took me barely half an hour to whip up before putting it in the oven. However, I got a horrible shock when I took my first bite - it was not sweet at all! Whatever happened??

Of course the first thing anyone does is to look at the recipe again and think over what he did. I did a double take when I re-read the recipe - 2 cups of white sugar! I only added 2 tbsps! Whatever possessed me to read it as 2 tbsps instead of 2 cups!

And I'd wanted to give HL a nice chocolate cake as a wedding anniversary gift, after the lovely surprise present he got me last night. After dinner, the guy asked Ray to come alonga him to buy some lozenges, leaving the boy and me at home. They were gone rather long, so I figured they must have gone to Loyang Point to buy snacks or whatever. When they finally got back, Ray came in with a VERY secretive smile and something she was trying to hide (unsuccessfully) behind her back. When asked whether she had something for me, she nodded, grinned very widely, whipped out a plastic bag, handed it to me and said, "Happy Anniversary, Mommy".

Well, I'll be blowed! I'd totally forgotten the date! Heehee. It was a pair of handphone danglies (I dunno watcha call 'em), with a long strap so you can hang it round ya neck, Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise. Yeah, I'm nuts about NBC. One had a little Jack, the other was Sally. One each. And the whole long strap has glow-in-the-dark bats and skullheads on it, with an oblongish metal plaque with the official logo of NBC near the end. Need you ask? I ADORE it. Even more because it was such a pleasant surprise. I'm trying my best to describe it because I don't have any AA batteries to use with my camera now. Photo will be up asap.

So there goes my "pressie" - chocolate cake which does not taste the slightest bit sweet. Mom suggested drizzling honey, HL chocolate sauce, but I just want to CHUCK IT OUT, because I cannot bear anyone to remember this bitter choc cake I made and remember me for it (the way somebody remembers me for cheesecake, you know whom you are). I've spread some extra cream cheese frosting leftover from the carrot cake on it, but it only seems to make the cake taste more bitter.

YARRGH!

3 comments:

  1. it happens only once in a blue moon. i think in all the years we've been together, i can count on one hand the number of surprises i've received.

    at other times, he just tells me, whatever you want, just go and buy. duh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Lulu! And yup I love anything Tim Burton, so I think a Nightmare before Christmas phone dangly thingy is better than diamonds!!

    Try a quick fix for your bitter chocolate cake:

    Cut the cake into 2 layers. Spread something sweet and sticky like jam/honey/nutella in the middle, and sandwich your cake back together, before covering icing on the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,
    Yep, I later found on Allrecipes that I could brush syrup over the thing to sweeten it and help keep it moist, so I did. Tastes better now, but still not much business! d:)

    But the syrup was also used for waffles made from the brand new 3-in-1 waffle iron given as an early birthday-cum-xmas gift from my sis. Yum!

    ReplyDelete