Saturday, October 07, 2006

I've been MIA for so long because...

... I've caught a cold bug (not so serious) and the reading bug (very serious). First I started reading up my old ballet series (Drina books, either you know or you don't). And that had eleven books, so although on average I finished one per day (skimming only), it still took quite some time. I'm of the type that cannot put down a book once I've started.

Along the way I was waylaid by my old Enid Blyton Mystery series, in which you find the Five Findouters and Dog. I started out with 2 books when I was a kid, but in the last few years I've bought more as I saw them, mainly at 2nd hand book sales. And last Friday at the MPH distributors sale at Downtown East, $50 went on 2 of these as well as other classics such as A Treasury of Narnia (left). I'd only just completed reading the Chronicles of Narnia a few months back and it has become one of my favourites. A Treasury of Narnia sheds light on the author, C. S. Lewis' background, besides other interesting stuff such as why he wrote the stories in a certain order, and how they reflect his own life. Well worth the $12 I paid, especially as it is a hardcover and is of great quality.

And I'm proud to say that we've now got the complete Winnie the Pooh collection - by A. A. Milne - a lovely box of 2 hardcover books. I foresee that I will have to read it out to the kids sometime in the future, as it is not what you would call a picture book. I was very tempted to get a very pictorial Winnie the Pooh book, but it had only a few stories in it.

And I do believe that the next series I'm going to start on is Lemony Snickets' A Series of Unfortunate Events. As far as I know there are thirteen books plus a few other extras. Ack! Each hardcover book cost $8 at the fair, so I think I'll wait till the complete omnibus comes out in paperback.

I'm now on the hunt for the last book in the Enid Blyton Mystery series to complete my collection - The Mystery of the Secret Room. Haven't seen it at any of the 2nd hand book stores, nor at MPH!

3 comments:

  1. Lulu,
    have sent you a text! gosh! i didnt know that you are a drina fan as well... i have a few of the books but have never ever completed the entire series... would love to borrow them from you if possible... hehe, did she get married in the end? hmmm, think she did hor...

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm blessed to have the entire 11 books becos somebody gave them to my mom, heehee. but the 1st 6 books are rather old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lulu,
    forgot to borrow the books from you on sat =(

    ReplyDelete