Monday, August 14, 2006

Complain complain, life is so mundane

Update: The cake turned out rather eggy, and, somehow, not cheesy nor sour enough. I think I'll chuck this recipe out. Nothing beats Chantal's New York Cheesecake. But I also liked some other No Bake Cheesecake from the same site.

I am feeling rather bothered that I am bothered by the nitty gritty things of life. While some are talking about getting nominated for awards, others are discussing political issues and other more IMPORTANT subjects, like losing a loved one.

But here I am, stressed out because the kids are both sticky to me at the same time, my husband is in one of his Idon'tcareyousaidyouwouldhandleallthekidsissues moods, and the elder one is sick and I can't attend to her because I need to nurse the younger one to sleep and HE's refusing to let me go, and I HAVEN'T DONE MY LAUNDRY!! So MUNDANE... my worries seem.

I received an email from an old acquaintance yesterday, asking me how I am. I am so tempted to type all these words again, complaining about how I have so many little problems. After all, when people ask you "How are you?", they are really sincere and want to know how you really are, right? I've always felt obliged to tell the truth, in detail.

Thinking back, I've been pouring out sob stories to customers (closer ones), mailing lists and friends recently. In defence, I HAVE been ill the last 3 weeks, so bad I hardly even used the computer except for perhaps max 1-2hrs a day (now THAT's really little, ok). But again, it all seems so MUNDANE.

On second thought, what's wrong with being mundane? I am a stay-home mom turned work-at-home mom. My life centres around my family, my children. It was only because of my family that I developed the passion for all these parenting methods, which now are the backbone for my business. Breastfeeding, babywearing, EC, co-sleeping, all these came about because of my family. How else could I have the confidence to take over the store?

And routines are comforting (albeit my routines are not so fixed). Knowing the laundry is done, nobody is hungry, the kids are learning and growing everyday, everybody is healthy and strong... what more could make a mother satisfied? Surely anything else is only the icing on the cake?

I think I know where I stand now. I can do more to enhance my life, it is nowhere perfect, but at least I know that if I can at least fulfil the needs of my family, I know I have done my part as a mother. And from there, just like a child who knows his parent is always nearby to protect him and support him if necessary, I can go further.

And I have found a new recipe for lowfat cheesecake! Got all the ingredients, just need to find some spare time to make it! I LOVE baking!! Even my son can't wait to try it!

3 comments:

  1. Stressed out by mundane routine at home vs stressed out by some a**h*** at work who is next to nobody if that's not even a friend at work?

    Think I'll drop all house work and bring the baby out for a walk if I'm stressed out by the former. Couldn't get out when I was in the latter position.

    Fingers-crossed...I don't wanna be struck by lightning for complaining...hehehe... ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. i luv eating!! espacially yr cheesecakes.
    when is the next get together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. depends on when my dad feels like having a bbq. he's been wanting one for some time, but according to my mom, now seventh month. must wait till after that.

    or is it over yet?

    ReplyDelete