Thursday, June 09, 2005

Never been in the same boat

My mom urged me to nurse my girl again yesterday.

She spoke in a roundabout way, "ask your mommy to give you some milk again, so you won't fall sick so easily" and I told her that she (girl) doesn't want to drink (I meant ebm). Whereupon Mom insisted that it was I who refused to nurse.

Explanations of angstiness, irritation during tandem nursing didn't help. "What's so difficult? Breastfeed two is the same as breastfeed one what."

No it is not. I felt terrible whenever I nursed her in the last few months. She wouldn't understand.

"Your dajie (elder sis) was also breastfeeding after you were born what. I didn't feel any irritation."

Well, there you have it. YOU didn't go through what I did. How would you be able to empathise?

Anyway I ended the discussion by asking my girl whether she remembered. "Yes, Mommy, I know it was very irritating for you, and that's why I can drink fresh (cow's) milk."

Isn't she sweet?

2 comments:

  1. What happened during tandem nursing that was irritating? u din write or tell me about it b4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's very hard to explain. but almost ALL tng moms will tell u the same thing.

    irritation usually begins sometime in pregnancy, with some moms reporting a change in emotions just after they test positive.

    one school of thought believes that this is nature/God's way of telling yr body it is time to wean the older child, and possibly one evolutionary trait that implies we are NOT supposed to tandem nurse. but then again in a "natural, uncivilised society" (as can be seen in certain more primitive tribes and cultures today we are NOT supposed to have children closer than 3-4 yrs apart.

    ooh... something else for u to think about d:)

    ReplyDelete