Saturday, June 04, 2005

Nappies and Moms

The last time I went to Spotlight I got some of this marvellous baby muslin, which is essentially the same as our traditional cloth nappies, except they came in lovely pastelly pink, blue, yellow and green. My plan was to turn them into hankies for the kids, because this material is pretty absorbent, yet still soft and light. So far they're looking good, despite my lousy sewing skills and of course, my machine's perpetual tension problem.

While I was hemming away yesterday, I began to wonder whether the kids would ever have to face any awkward questions along the lines of "Where did you get those horrible cheapskate hankies?" or "Are you so poor that your mom has to cut up yr old nappies to make hankies for you?". What would they say? Would they have the sense to give a respectable answer? Or would they just speechlessly shake their heads? Most importantly, would they understand that their mom made these hankies for them simply because
1) she loved them and wanted to sew them something and
2) these hankies are perfectly suited for their use (or as we say in Sg, cheap and good)?

I tried putting myself in that situation, and I figure there is a very high chance I would say something to insult my own mother. Well, not the me as I am now, but in my younger days. Honestly I am very ashamed of myself for not appreciating my mom more. I've always taken her for granted (still do, although I am TRYING to respect and appreciate her), insulted her a lot over the years for her mistakes, and generally not been doing what the Bible tells me to do (honour your parents). If she were to hear some of the things I've said about her behind her back, I think she has very good cause to disown me. Well, I'm trying to change. Now that I'm a mother, I finally begin to see what she went through to bring me up, despite our not being together most of the time (I lived with my paternal grandma will P1).

Thankfully, God has allowed me to realise the error of my ways in her living days, and a chance to make up to her. I try not to repeat my mistakes, try to set a good example for my children. After all, monkey see, monkey do. Truly I say to you.

p.s. my daughter loves that story about the monkeys and the caps. and today she told me mickey mouse makes this sound when he eats, "gh gh gh ching! gh gh gh gh ching!" AND she said this was what her aunt told her. ??!!

4 comments:

  1. alamak! that's the sound mickey mouse makes when he eats CORN! Going from left to right to the next row ....

    Got sew nice embriodery on the hankies? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny .. how come i already posted a comment but it is not counted leh?

    still appear as 0 comments on ur home page. ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. no time to do embroidery lah - just kind of zigzagged them all around with contrast thread so got nice border. also helps to prevent them from fraying. next time i show u.

    i've noticed that it takes qutie some time for blogger to update the whole thing. eg. i edited my profile some time ago but took dunno how long to see the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm .. if it takes so long, i'm sure other frequent bloggers would have made complaints.

    The comment i posted on ur latest update appeared fast. Maybe it's jus a hitch now and then.

    ReplyDelete