Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Meringue Kisses

Over the weekend, I finally found something else to do with my 30+ eggwhites leftover from making kueh lapis legit, other than macarons (which I've failed at and do not intend to try again, yet) and steamed milk custard (which I love but am not in the mood to make). 

Meringue Kisses are new to our family, but I have seen them outside at some specialty bakery, think it was some stall at Raffles City. All those huge brightly-coloured round shapes.

I followed Laura Vitale's recipe and got the following results.


They're a little browner than what I've seen in photos online, but after two tries in which I varied the temperature and oven settings, I'm guessing this is the desired result of her recipe. In any case, they are really yummy, crispy on the outside yet melt-in-the-mouth inside. A little sweet, yes, but the descriptions online say that the sugar is necessary for the meringue to hold its shape while baking.

So I can continue to churn out more of these to use up more of those egg whites. I've already found one eager "receiver".

No comments:

Post a Comment