Friday, February 15, 2013

Lunar New Year equals FOOD

I made a total of three batches oh kueh lapis. Oh goodness. I'd say the third try was the best, as batch #2 was wayyyy undercooked. Even after the portions I gave away, we still have lots left, maybe to keep till next year. Haha!

On the second last day of the old year of the Dragon, my dear kind neighbour blessed us with this lovely dish. And oh, what a glorious, delicious, good to the last drop dish of pen cai 盆菜! It tasted better than any I've eaten at Chinese restaurants.

Pen cai
For the first day of the Lunar New Year of the Snake when we went visiting, my 11yo girl who was born in the Year of the Snake sported a snakey Dutch braid which started from the front of her head to the nape of her neck.


And I have to share that one of my absolute favourite LNY dishes has to be what Singaporeans call "lohei" 捞起 (Cantonese) or yusheng 鱼生. A family (or group of colleagues, friends, etc) stand around this huge plate of vegetables on the table and, after all the blessings are called out by the serving waitresses (during which some ingredients such as raw salmon and all the wet dressings are added), everyone uses their chopsticks to stir and toss up the dish, all the while callling out more blessings. The higher the ingredients are lifted, the more auspicious.

Lohei with fellow PVs
 This dish is only available commercially once a year, at LNY time, and I can never get enough. So far this year I've had it twice, once with my family and once with my fellow Parent Volunteers of our school. I believe I shall have at least one more to go, hurray!

Wishing everyone a blessed and prosperous Year of the Snake!

No comments:

Post a Comment