Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Buche De Noel

My first try at this, really! Recipe from Allrecipes.com, as usual, at least I used the part for the cake itself. Frosting is this Red Man Whip Topping available from Phoon Huat. The lady assured me this was the same one used by all the cakeries around, and that the real "Heavy Whipping Cream" wouldn't work. But while you're whipping it, it smells like coconut milk with added sugar, eew.

Ray and I tried some of the roll itself before we frosted it, and it was of the melt-in-the-mouth variety. I didn't believe at first that you can make a cake without flour, but according to Allrecipes' Cook's Encyclopedia, a sponge cake is traditionally made entirely out of the "power of eggs", no flour. Well, all I can say is, you've gotta try it to believe it!

And how much does a Yule Log cost these days at the bakeries? $50? Gosh... I probably spent less than $10 for everything... 6 eggs though, go easy on the cholesterol, said HL when he heard.

Will be served up this Sunday evening at our family's Xmas gathering with the extended relations.

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy! I can't wait.
    Can I have some first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a no. of the toy decorations for log cake too. if u making somemore i can pass to u. haaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. just made again today, too late... after this will be cheesecake and carrot cake, if in time. becos the log cake will not be enough for everybody.

    ReplyDelete